Bibliography of the Great Bible
Bible, 1539. Miles Coverdale, ed., The Byble in Englysh, that is to say the content of all the holy Scripture, bothe of the Olde and Newe Testament, truly translated after the veryte of the Hebrue and Greke textes, by the dylygent men expert in the forsayde tonges. Prynted by Rychard Grafton & Edward Whitchurch. Cum privilegio ad imprimendum solum. London, 1539; second edition 1540.
This is a revision of Matthew's Bible (1537) supervised by Miles Coverdale. It was commonly called the "Great Bible" because of its size. The second edition (1540) included a Preface written by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Cranmer, and so was sometimes called "Cranmer's Bible."
Reprints (New Testament)
- Memorials of the Right Reverend Father in God Myles Coverdale. London: S. Bagster, 1838.
- George Pearson, ed., Remains of Myles Coverdale, Bishop of Exeter. Cambridge: University Press, 1846.
- Francis Fry, The Bible by Coverdale. London: Willis and Sotheran, 1867.
- William Dallmann, Miles Coverdale. St. Louis, MO: Concordia Publishing House, 1925.
- J. F. Mozley, Coverdale and his Bibles. London: Lutterworth, 1953.
- Facsimile editions by S. Bagster, 1838, 1847.
- Francis Fry, A description of the Great Bible, 1539, and the six editions of Cranmer's Bible, 1540 and 1541, printed by Grafton and Whitchurch: also of the editions, in large folio, of the authorized version of the Holy Scriptures, printed in the years 1611, 1613, 1617, 1634, 1640. By Francis Fry, F. S. A. Illustrated with titles, and with passages from the editions, the genealogies, and the maps, copied in facsimile; also with an identification of every leaf of the first seven, and of many leaves of the other editions; on fifity-one plates. Together with an original leaf of each of the editions described. London: Willis and Sotheran, 1865.
- H. R. Willoughby, The First Authorized English Bible and the Cranmer Preface. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1942.
- John Strype, Memorials of Thomas Cranmer. London: George Routledge, 1853.
- Diarmaid MacCulloch, Thomas Cranmer: A Life. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1996.